"Funds for the Ray Tompkins House were provided by the bequest of Mrs. Sarah Wey Tompkins in memory of her husband, Ray Tompkins of the Class of 1884, Yale College. Mr. Tompkins was one of the most prominent football players in the early history of the sport at Yale. He was captain of the 1882 and 1883 teams, and was an outstanding player. It was his memory also, that Mrs. Tompkins gave to the Athletic Association the magnificent tract of over 750 acres west of the Bowl, on which was built the Yale Golf Course, one of the most beautiful in the country." (From the Yale Daily News and Secretary's Office press release, date unknown).
View Ray Tompkins House, Yale University in a larger map
The Ray Thompkins House, constructed in 1931, is a steel-reinforced brick structure with 4" sandstone facing. The sloping roofs are made of slate - most likely from the original construction. Ornamental oak woodwork is prevelant throughout most of the interior rooms and halways.
This building functions as the office/meeting and function complex for Athletics Department staff and coaches at Yale University. The building stands adjacent to the Payne Whitney Gymnasium on Tower Parkway, and while not physically a part of the gymnasium, is connected underground with it, and in general appearance is a part of it, having been designed by John Russell Pope of New York City, who was also the architect of the gymnasium.