Randall’s Island, NY- Dartmouth faced off against Columbia this weekend as Dartmouth looked to go 5-0 in the Ivy League and Columbia looked for its first win. Columbia played inspired rugby throughout the contest putting pressure all match long against the Big Green.
Columbia scored more points than anyone else in the league vs Dartmouth scoring 3 times. The boys from Hanover, it turned out, were too much for the home team winning by a score of 73-19.
Dartmouth made the long trip down to Columbia and played in a rare nighttime game against the Lions. A try from Struan Coleman got Dartmouth on the board but a missed conversion held the Big Green to 5-0. Columbia responded a couple minutes later and put a try of their own under the posts and took the lead 7-5 just 9 minutes into the game.
For the first time all season, Dartmouth trailed an opponent.
A Columbia lineout overthrow led to some great ball movement from Dartmouth and a fantastic run from freshman Luke Bienstock who put one down in the corner putting Dartmouth up 12-7. A couple minutes later, Gordon Driscoll scooped up a loose ball and hit winger Julien Johnson for Dartmouth’s third try of the game and extended the lead to 17-7. Luke Beinstock got his second try of the game just after giving Dartmouth a 22-7 lead.
After a few scoreless minutes, Dawit Workie stepped a few defenders and gave Dartmouth another try and a 27-7 lead. The big men were determined to get some action, and a great run from Fuller Winton led to another Dartmouth try as the Big Green went up 32-7. Just before halftime Julien Johnson scored his second try of the game, but a missed conversion kick left Dartmouth with a 37-7 lead.
The second half started off well for Dartmouth as the Big Green strung a number of great passes together and Fuller Winton put one down in the try zone for his second try of the game and helped to extend the lead to 44-7. On the next Dartmouth possession, Hayden Aldredge used some great hands to win a lineout and dish the ball to Jack Badenhausen, who put one down and gave Dartmouth another 7 as the Big Green went up 51-7. Steven Hinshaw barreled through a number of defenders giving Dartmouth yet another try and 56-7 lead. Peter Badenhausen put another try down in the corner as Dartmouth went up 61-7.
Columbia responded with a couple tries of its own to make the score 61-17.
However the side stepping Dawit Workie extended the Dartmouth lead to 66-17. Just before the second half expired Jesse Brown sealed the game as he danced into the try zone and gave Dartmouth a final score of 73-17.
It was a long day for Dartmouth, but the men came out on top and moved to 5-0. Dartmouth will face off against Cornell next weekend in Hanover for Dartmouth’s homecoming. Columbia looks for their first Ivy win as they travel to Harvard.
- 16': Freshman wing Luke Bienstock '20 slices through the Lions' defense to center a try.
- 17': Pat Sheehy '20 nails the kick! Big Green now leads 12-7.
- Gordon Driscoll '17 scoops up a loose ball and penetrates midfield. Julian Johnson finishes to score, Green leads 17-7
- Luke Bienstock '20 scores his 2nd try Dartmouth leads 22-7.
- Workie dots down for a try on the left side! The slippery senior flyhalf lands his first score of the night. Sheehy kick just left. 27-7
- Fuller Winton '19 scores in the far corner! Big Green leads Columbia 32-7, with 4 minutes left in the first half
- Sheehy conversion falls short. Score remains 32-7
- Julien Johnson '19 scores his second try, Green leads 37-7. Both Johnson and Bienstock '20 have scored braces tonight
- Dawit Workie's conversion falls inches short
Halftime. Dartmouth leads Columbia 37-7.
- Sheehy gets possession, Green strings together a few passes, and Winton '19 finishes the passage to score. 42-7 Dartmouth
- Sheehy connects! Conversion is good, 44-12 in NYC
- Workie kicks for touch, Aldredge wins the lineout and Jack Badenhausen '19 finishes!
- Green is up 51-12 after Sheehy nails the conversion
- Steven Hinshaw barrels through several Columbia defenders. Dartmouth leads 56-12
- Peter Badenhausen finishes in the far corner! Pat Sheehy's kick flies left, no good. 61-12 Dartmouth with minutes to play
- Dartmouth stuffs a Light Blue runner at their goal line, overturns the ball! Workie '17 lands another unconverted try, Green leads 66-12
- The score is 66-19 following a converted try from Columbia. Just a few minutes of injury time left in the match
- Jesse Brown '17 puts the exclamation point on a Dartmouth win! Conversion good, 73-19 is the final score here in New York City.
Final. Dartmouth 73 - Columbia 19.
The Big Green of Dartmouth travel to NYC and Randall's Island to play a rare Saturday night match against Columbia University. With Brown's win this afternoon they have taken a slight lead over Dartmouth in the standings. A win or tie puts the Big Green right back on top. Columbia is looking for their first win of the Ivy season.