Brown 12 v. Dartmouth College 18

Saturday, November 16, 2019

On this cold breezy day with a high of mid-20 degree temperatures, the Bears arrived in Hanover to atone for its only regular season loss to the Big Green a month ago. Brown had ended the fall regular season 9-1 and was given a second bite at the Dartmouth apple in this Ivy Championship playoff to determine the team that would go on to the Nationals next spring. Brown’s 64-28 defeat of Columbia last week had earned the Bears this opportunity.

A midweek storm had put a few inches of snow on the field but Dartmouth had cleared the field and a relatively warm Friday had left the ground firm and playable. There would be no excuses due to field or weather conditions. 

It was clear from the kick-off that this game was more of a defensive battle than a horse race. Brown did concede a penalty kick, an unconverted try and a converted try in the first 24 minutes of play, but Brown continued to turn over Dartmouth ball and take the attack into the Dartmouth half, maintaining pressure on the Big Green. The effort paid off for the Bears at 33 minutes. #10 and captain Alex Ogilvy, after a Dartmouth penalty, kicked to touch deep in Dartmouth territory. Brown took the ensuing lineout and drove it close to the goal line where #8 Jae Kim drove over the line to put Brown on the board. 

The half ended with Brown trailing 15-5, A month earlier, Brown had scored the first try of the match and then conceded 26 first half points. Brown had held the Big Green to 15 first half points, was confident and had nothing to lose. With some minor adjustments, the Bears were ready to step up their game in the second half. 

At the 43rd minute, Brown had a lineout 40 meters from the line. The ball was transferred to center Campbell O’Conor who then passed to fullback Christos Economos in full stride beyond Dartmouth’s blitz defense, running 30 meters untouched for a try. With Alex Ogilvy’s conversion. Brown now trailed Dartmouth 15-12 and had momentum. Brown conceded a penalty kick at 46 minutes but the score at 12-18 left Brown only a converted try from the lead.

The match see-sawed the remaining 34 minutes of play. Dartmouth did miss a penalty kick in the 71st minute which would have put the match out of reach, but the Bears pressed the attack for the remaining 9 minutes. Brown was awarded a penalty at full time, kicking to touch with one last opportunity to score. Brown won the ensuing lineout and were on the attack, but the sturdy Dartmouth defense turned over the ball, kicking to touch to secure this hard fought match. 

Dartmouth knew they had been tested and Brown had to some degree assuaged the disappointment of its 57-7 loss last month. Brown’s fall XV season ends with 9 wins against only 2 losses, both to Dartmouth. 
The Brown Bears were this close to an Ivy Title.  

First Half    

8 min    
Dartmouth Penalty Kick 3            
16 min    
Dartmouth Try 5
24 min  
Dartmouth Converted Try 7        
33 min    
Brown Try (Jae Kim) 5                

First Half: Brown 5 | Dartmouth 15     

Second Half

43 min    
Brown Try (Jae Kim) 5
Conversion (Alex Ogilvy) 2
46 min Dartmouth Penalty Kick 3

Second Half Brown 7 | Dartmouth 3    

Final Score Brown 12 | Dartmouth 18